The BCOEL group began in December 2013, after a few librarians began to meet and share ideas, tools, and strategies on OER projects in support of faculty.
The objective of the BCOEL Steering Committee is to develop a set of resources to support librarians in their interactions with faculty related to OER. The resources developed are meant to provide a single authoritative and sustainable space for all BC libraries in the identification and use of OER resources.
- Develop a process of identifying and assessing OER resources for use in research and instruction.
- Develop a list of vetted resources by subject for referral.
- Develop faculty discussion points for librarians on the subtle differences between OER and OA and their uses in research and instruction.
- Provide local and advertise local events for professional development.
- Develop a guide to OER initiatives.
More general info on BC and OER happenings and info on the BC Open Textbook project can be found at BCcampus OpenEd.